At Canklow Woods, we wish to provide opportunities for all children to create, play, perform and enjoy music, to develop the skills, to appreciate a wide variety of musical forms, and to begin to make judgements about the quality of music. We provide equal opportunities for all where by every child in our school is given the chance to learn how to play instruments and is given the chance to perform with them in front an audience.
The objectives of teaching music in our school are to enable children to:
• Know and understand how sounds are made and then organised into musical structures.
• Know how music is made through a variety of instruments.
• Know how music is composed and written down.
• Know how music is influenced by the time, place and purpose for which it was written.
- Develop the interrelated skills of performing, composing and appreciating music.
- Develop their confidence when performing in front of others.
- Use technical vocabulary such as volume, pitch, beat and rhythm and encourage children to discuss music using these terms.
- Develop a love of music where they see their talent as musicians, and so increase their self-confidence, creativity and sense of achievement.
- Listen to, sing and appreciate songs from other parts of the world and different periods in time.
- Develop a critical engagement with music, allowing them to compose, and to listen with discrimination to a wide repertoire of music.
As staff, we intend to continue to review and update the music curriculum to ensure that staff and children experience good musical experiences and improve their knowledge and understanding. Our teaching staff will continue to liaise effectively with all peripatetic music teachers.