The Importance of Art and Design
Art and design stimulates creativity and imagination. It provides visual, tactile and sensory experiences and a unique way of understanding and responding to the world. Pupils use colour, form, texture, pattern and different materials and processes to communicate what they see, feel and think. Through art and design activities, they learn to make informed value judgements and aesthetic and practical decisions, becoming actively involved in shaping environments. They explore ideas and meanings in the work of artists, craftspeople and designers. They learn about the diverse roles and functions of art, craft and design in contemporary life, and in different times and culture4s. Understanding, appreciation and enjoyment of the visual arts have the power to enrich our personal and public lives.
The Objectives of Art and Design are:
- To explore and develop ideas from first hand experiences and imagination
- To investigate a range of material and processes and the techniques needed to design and make images and artefacts
- To encourage children to evaluate what they and others' have dome and how they may change or improve work in the future
- To develop children's knowledge and understanding of art, craft and design
- Communication including ICT