Physical Education Aims
The National Curriculum for physical education aims to ensure that all pupils:
- develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities are physically active for sustained periods of time
- engage in competitive sports and activities
- lead healthy, active lives.
Subject content Key Stage 1
Pupils should develop core movement, become increasingly competent and confident and access a broad range of opportunities to extend their agility, balance and co- ordination, individually and with others. They should be able to engage in competitive (both against self and against others) and co-operative physical activities, in a range of increasingly challenging situations.
Pupils should be taught to:
- master basic movements such as running, jumping, throwing, catching, as well as developing balance, agility and co-ordination, and begin to apply these in a range of activities
- participate in team games, developing simple tactics for attacking and defending
- perform dances using simple movement patterns.